Monday, August 10, 2009

New job, new attitude

Flash back to April 2009.
I get called into my principal's office and he tells me that they have cut the Italian program and I am out of a job. Chaos ensues - I nearly have a nervous breakdown, the community rallies in support of Italians everywhere, the mayor discusses the situation on his podcast, the superintendent is bombarded with phone calls and emails from former students as far away as South Carolina.

May 2009
After the brouhaha, and the subsequent statement by the superintendent that no classroom positions would be cut, I am told that I can have my job back, for now.

June / July 2009
Posting on SchoolSpring that West Springfield has an opening for a full-time Italian teacher at the high school. I apply, they love me, I am hired.

Flash to this morning
I gave my 2-weeks' notice this morning and not 10 minutes thereafter, the gossips have started their surmising of why I left. Here's why:

I can't live every day in the spring wondering if I'm going to get a pink slip.

I need to have security that when I have a job, I will have that job.

So there it is. I am going to teach in West Springfield (go Terriers!) and I am going to be my own person. I am not going to have to worry that I am being compared to anyone else, I am not going to have to try to be anyone else. I can just be me and do my best work.

No comments:

Post a Comment